Monday 25 November 2013

Whiskey in the Morning

Last Monday we made the trip into town for the Fitzgeralds night, where we got to know a few of the newer members a little better and exchanged our recent adventures. For me, this was basically just complaining about work, but at least it sounded funny strung together in all its rediculousness. I had the next sunny and very brisk day off, so I met up with Megan under the Spire and we walked over to the Old Jameson Distillery for a tour before she could fly off to New York. It cost us just over 10 euros for the student rate, but it felt a little like paying 10 euros for a drink, since the tour was not very impressive. There was a short movie at the beginning featuring an American journalist in the 1900s visiting the distillery to write an article about it, and then we were led through a few rooms where we laughed at a few bad jokes, then retrieved our ginger whiskeys at the end. A few people were selected to taste samples of Jack Daniels, Scotch, and Jameson. Every one of them said the Jameson shot had the best taste.

The Jameson pub

Afterwards, Megan and I sat around finishing our very tasty drinks until everyone else had left, and she told me all about the program she volunteers for, Fighting Words. She leads classes to write a story together, from school-age kids to adults. I was very interested in volunteering too, but my work schedule definitely interferes since I never have set days off and I’m always told last minute. But since I don’t foresee staying at this job, I’m looking forward to signing up! Writing and teaching at the same time? Count me in!

Enjoying our morning whiskey

We grabbed sandwiches and chips/crisps, then ate lunch on the boardwalk of the River Liffey, with the blue sky and sun nearly blinding us. The water looked silver it shone so brightly. Then Megan headed off to her next volunteering session and I stopped in at USIT to print off my emergency tax forms (Form 12A), since I haven’t received any tax back from either of my jobs yet. That evening we had Heather and Anne over to teach them how to play Dutch Blitz, which turned into a lot of laughing and eventually into Spoons and a hilarious Youtube video.

My work week wasn’t pleasant, but it was also not nearly as awful as usual. The Food and Beverage Manager had listened to my request for 6:30 shifts, so I was able to take the bus. I worked with the best supervisor for most of the week. I even had a half day in the middle of the week so I didn’t have to work in Alfie’s.

On Saturday, because there are no buses, I rode Dale’s bike to work. It took me about twenty minutes. I was very nervous, but the roads were nearly deserted in the morning and I stayed mainly on roads with a bicycle lane. One road is one way, however, and the left half has the tracks for the Luas Line, so I rode straight down the middle and hoped no one would care. Cars did go by, but it seemed fine. I locked the bike to a steel post by the road, but when I got off work at 1:00 it had fallen and was half on the road. Luckily it was unharmed. I walked with Heather to a section of the road I was more comfortable riding along, and then promptly failed to get on the bike properly. It’s just too big for me! Then I went straight over the canal instead of going right, so I ended up walking my bike like an idiot until I figured out how to get back on track.

That night Dale and I watched the final episode of Doctor Who, then booked it to the theatre for the premier of Day of the Doctor. It was really enjoyable, pretty funny, and, as usual, I didn’t expect the ending. I loved that there were kids with sonic screwdrivers that really made noise, one with a fez, a few in bowties, and even one who wore a Dalek helmet. I always enjoy when people dress up for premiers! I also like that I actually understand why they were dressed like that now!

Sunday brought the Food and Beverage Manager down to the floor for the first time, and she immediately pulled Heather, Irena, and I into the office to tell us off for arriving late. We had gotten on the floor only ten minutes behind, and that was because we immediately started working in the kitchen. She told us we were disrespectful and insisted that we not just be at work early, but actually be on the floor five minutes before our shift starts from now on. She didn’t give us a chance to explain. If she had, she would have realized we were two minutes late by her clock. But it turns out she also “gave out” to the rest of the staff for being one minute late on the floor.

The interesting thing about this weekend at work was that we hosted the New Zealand National Rugby team. They had a buffet every morning in a corner of Alex that we reserved for them and their families. Before their match on Sunday the F&B Manager pulled us over and had us stand in a line in the lobby as a human fence to keep the fans back. Even the chefs and cleaning ladies joined. People were taking pictures over our shoulders, and it felt quite ridiculous blocking for a rugby team considering most of us are tiny in comparison. We applauded as each member walked out, and one very famous member paused for a photograph with a fan, which Brendan snapped for them.

I locked the bike to a fence on the opposite side of the sidewalk this time, and it was safe when I picked it up after work. I took off on it right away, and chose to go down Harold’s Cross after the canal this time, which has less traffic and construction than the street I was planning to take. Unfortunately it is also very slightly uphill, which was deceivingly exhausting after a while. But before the canal I managed to make a fool of myself by stopping on the incline of the bridge, then, with a combination of that and the bike being too big, when the light turned green I struggled to get going and somehow ended up swinging around the corner and hopping off instead of going straight. I quickly walked across the road as if I did it on purpose. I don’t think I fooled anyone.

Me and the lights

Lights on Grafton Street

Me and the tree
Sunday evening Heather and I walked into town for Dublin’s Festival of Lights, where they had a crew dance on stage followed by ballet, then broke a Guinness World Record for the most Christmas jumpers in one place (a record Dublin already held), and then lit up the big Christmas tree. We stood in the crowd while the Christmas music blared and watched the judging for the best—and insane!—Christmas jumpers and wished we had our own. Afterwards we met up with Anne, Becca, KT, and Aline for some Hot Wok Indian food that was delicious and well-priced. They had just come back from a tour in Wicklow.


The tree and the Spire

Ballet beside the Spire, and some Christmas hats!

Today work got worse again. It was my sixth day in a row and I really struggled to wake up, mainly because I was scheduled to work even earlier at 6:00! The schedule was given to us too late for me to even notice and ask about, so I had no choice but to get up before five again. Thank God I had the bike or it would have been even earlier. Dale also called in sick, so it didn’t matter that I had taken it. He’s had a bad cold for a few days now and even I woke up with a sore throat this morning. I got to work early enough not to get in trouble, but found out it would be the unpleasant supervisor again. I thought I did well throughout the day, but I definitely benefited from coffee on my break at seven am.

Brendan had told Heather and I the day before that he was quitting. Today he had had enough before his shift ended, so left halfway through. I was quite jealous. But we seemed very short staffed afterwards and I ended up staying 45 minutes late. I flat out told the supervisor ‘no, I can’t today’ when she asked if I could stay on, and I didn’t give her a reason, even when she stared straight in my eyes like she was waiting to hear it. I’m not going to give any of the supervisors excuses which they might decide aren’t legitimate and try to poke holes in just to bully me into staying. No means no. There, I learned one thing from this job: not to be guilted into doing something I don’t want to do.

My bike ride home was much smoother today, but I still chose to walk over the canal using the crosswalks rather than ride it and attempt to get into the middle of the lane and turn right. It’s definitely a work out, which makes me feel really sweaty when I get home, but at least its warm—I’m writing this now as I’m wearing gloves and a Slytherin scarf!

Now I have a bit of a challenge: in order to complete Nanowrimo successfully I need to write five days worth of Nanowrimo words in three days because Barcelona is on Friday (after work). I think I can do it! And I'm kind of loving the crazy story I'm writing, but I doubt it will be only 50,000 words. Again.


No comments:

Post a Comment