Monday 23 December 2013

Telegrams!

There was a much smaller group at Fitzgeralds than usual last Monday, but it was nice to have conversations as a whole rather than in small groups what with the group being so large these days. Ally invited Dale and I to see "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" with a few others the next day, so after work I headed into town on my own. I tried to do some shopping but ended up only succeeding in having dinner at Hot Wok since Dale was pretty much running from work. We were late for the movie and ended up not even sitting with each other, let alone the group. It was too bad, but even worse that I had such a bad tickle in my throat I thought I might have to leave or be kicked out. By the end of it I was also thirstier than I’ve ever been in my life and had to chug a bottle of water from a corner store. It was hard to enjoy the movie, but I know it definitely had its merits, and we did at least get to talk over it with the other guys, and even Lisa, who happened to be there that night too.

On Wednesday Dylan from work arranged another 12 Pubs of Christmas night/Harry’s birthday party. But first I went to Grafton Street with Katie and Irena to accompany them on a little shopping. It was really strange to be going shopping and drinking with work people. On my walk back to the bus stop my umbrella was destroyed by the wind and huge construction blocks were sent sprawling into the road. In the evening Heather, Dale, and I went out to the pubs together and despite being two hours late found everyone still at the first pub. I believe they only ever made it to five, which means Heather and I managed to go to all of them despite having to work the next day. Walking between two pubs we had buckets of rain dropped on us and cut into the nearest pub miserably cold. To my delight there was an amazing smelling fire to sit beside while I attempted to dry my hair, jeans, and jacket. Dale went home. At one point a fight broke out right beside us in Everleigh between one of our chefs and some stranger who decided to strangle him. Dylan was kicked out later because someone pushed him, then he got back in, and then sent out by the same bouncer because he recognized him. A high-up in the hotel showed up and apparently made-out with two girls. Plus, I heard of another fight. It was not at all what I had been expecting, but I actually enjoyed safely observing the drama, and seeing the people I work with out in the real world.

5 Pubs work party

Thursday after work I stopped in at Fitzgeralds because they were doing a customer appreciation event in which you could get four free pints. I ate a dinner of fish and chips by myself for about an hour watching the fire in the fireplace, then Heather turned up and we sipped our drinks as she ate her meal and I had an apple pie with ice-cream. We were ready to go by the time Stephen turned up, but stayed for a short chat with him and Thomas, then went to pay for our food. To my disappointment the pints weren’t free until after nine o’clock and we both were too exhausted and had to work the next day to wait it out. Considering it was my sixth day in a row going out and getting up just after five am, I went home and crashed immediately. The only thing I remember is Dale coming in to give me a hot water bottle at some point.

On Friday I Skyped with my Dad after work while Dale made salmon. I think I watched the Walking Dead later. I also have a memory of walking across St. Stephen’s Green with Heather at some point, but I don’t remember why. I may have actually been a zombie at that point, but I really don't remember.

On Saturday after work I cut across St. Stephens Green to Grafton Street and bought Dale his Christmas presents. I road the bike home since it was the usual bus-free-morning weekend, and nearly got hit by the Garda, who apparently didn’t shoulder check. Then Dale and I kept Heather company at her place since both her roommates were away. We watched Elf, ate cookies, chips, drank tea, and kept warm under blankets with hot water bottles. We followed this up with Gifs, and I laughed until I could hardly breathe and tears were streaming from my eyes at Reverse Cotton Candy.

On Sunday Heather and I came out of the Conrad to find the sky still a little light out and snow falling! I was surprised by how happy this made me, like a Christmas wish come true. Check “see snow in Ireland” off the list! I left the bike locked to a fence and we walked across St. Stephens Green (again?), and almost almost literally ran into Dale going in the opposite direction along Grafton Street. When Heather was done the last of her shopping we wished her a merry Christmas and she left to pack for her flight home the next day. Dale I did some Christmas shopping after stopping at the new KFC, then split up while he tried to find gifts for me. I took the bags on the bus, and he took the bike home.

Today I delivered a Christmas card to Leonie’s parents, then stopped in at the post office to pick up a parcel from Mum, which I was excited to open when Dale got home from work. I also stopped in at Tesco, where I met the most Bah-humbug Irishman ever, who complained to me about the Christmas music, the commercialization of the holiday, and no one actually believing in anything anymore, which he blamed on the English. I was polite with my, “Mhm,” and, “Oh yeah?” responses, then I started chuckling to myself as soon as I had walked out of the store.

I have now received five Christmas cards! One each from Sara, Missy, Jill, and Rosaleen and Vincent, and the one from my family in the parcel. Which means three of them arrived today, so I had a big smile on my face! I also work tomorrow, have Christmas day off, work the next day, then have three days off, so I’m quite content with the schedule at the moment and excited to travel somewhere in Ireland on the weekend with Dale. Unfortunately I’m hoping to have the second week of January booked off to see my sisters in London, so there won’t be much money coming in soon. But my Teacher Education Program application is finally underway, so at least that can get off my mind! On the other hand, Dale’s boss finally pulled him aside the other day to ask him what his plans are for March. The lady who was gone on maternity leave will be returning then, and Dale will be out of a job. We have some thinking to do!

The Christmas package!

In the parcel from Mum I received candy, including Mini Eggs, two necklaces, woolen socks for Dale and I, a deck of hockey playing cards for him, Christmas crackers, Christmas decorations, including the bauble I made with Harry Potter's face that reads, "Have a Very Harry Christmas!" and more!

I even loved the wrapping paper

No comments:

Post a Comment