Sunday 23 February 2014

'Cole Hurt Her Face!

"Celtic Healthcare," of which I have plenty of experience now

I spent most of my time sleeping in, reading, and loading up on arnica tablets to speed the healing of my black eye. Senan became fascinated with my colourful look and if I walked away to so much as use the toilet he would come running out into the hallway asking, “Where ’Cole?” After my hospital visit on Wednesday, in which the doctor said everything was in order, we started going to the juice shop each day with Bff tied up outside. One day Senan thanked the ladies for his juice, then added, “’Cole hurt her face!” The nutritionist in the juice bar actually encouraged me to put pineapple on my bruise, which I did on Thursday. If the arnica was making the healing speed along at an incredible pace, it was nothing when compared to the pineapple. Within fifteen minutes there was an obvious difference! It did sting a bit, but it was unbelievable. Now, on Sunday, you would never know I had surgery just over a week ago.

Fionnuala’s birthday was last Sunday, but I was pretty tired for it. Senan got to blow out the candles on at least three different cakes. There were a few random days after the surgery where I had no energy whatsoever, and now that I have it back I can really tell the difference. For example, on one gorgeous day Fionnuala and I met up with Rosaleen and Senan at the Tram Yard for hot chocolate and cakes outside in the blinding sun, then the two of us took Bff for a walk overlooking Dalkey Island. It really is beautiful in Dalkey, even the village. Dale came out on Friday after an expensive check-up of 50 euros at the dentist and we did a similar walk the next day. It really felt like spring was coming when Fionnuala, Senan and I were watching Bff sitting on a bench across the road from the juice bar when it started hailing. Shortly afterwards there was a rainbow. Senan was a little traumatized by the hail, and I’ll admit that it hurt my cheek as well, but it was enjoyable weather despite being very cold!

Senan with invisible snow behind him (last week)

Tomorrow I will go in to a General Practitioner here in Dalkey to get the large black stitches out since they weren’t ready on Wednesday. The insurance company wants me to fax them a ton of documents, including evidence of when my “vacation” began. Hopefully the doctor will be able to help me sort it all out, even though they don’t have my medical chart. The insurance company also told me that they won’t pay for my follow-up appointment in six weeks since it’s not an “emergency.” I find that very weird considering this is all part and parcel of the emergency. Dale also stopped in at the Social Welfare office behind his work and found out that I should be eligible to get my wages back, so I’ll be on the “dole” before long. I need to get those forms from the doctor as well. Afterwards Dale and I will have to get home and get ready to fly to Scotland to see Sydnee, and then later in the week bus to Stockport for the English MacCarrons! Dale and I still can’t agree on whether we are staying in Ireland or going home, but we will at least get to check these visits off our list!

Fionnuala and I also went to Penneys in Dun Laoghaire, where I added to the collection of underwear she had picked up for me (50 cents!) and bought a pair of dark jeans and bright peach jeans for under 10 euros each. Even Roisin and Dameon bought me a Get Well scarf and a little stuffed fox because, “Everyone needs a teddy when they’re ill or healing.” Considering Fionnuala had also bought me pajamas and a few shirts, Dale and I thought it would be appropriate to get everyone here a Thank You, which included a white and red wine, and a big box of Ferrero Rocher.

Canadians everywhere!

Today the two of us took the DART into town to join our Canadian buddies at the Woolshed, a New Zealander’s pub that was airing the gold medal men’s hockey game. It was the first time I had officially been out since the accident, and I was really nervous about getting hit in the face, since a good hit would break my cheekbone again. Luckily there were only outbreaks of “Oh Canada” in the packed pub rather than uncontrolled elbows. It was great to see friends again, including Katie, who Heather brought out after they were done work. They brought with them a Get Well card signed by all our coworkers, which was really fun to read. The game obviously went well, and I’m really glad to have gone and experienced it with all those other Canadians! I had no idea there were that many of us here in Ireland!

Ocean's photo: Go Canada! Also I look normal (at least from this distance!)

No comments:

Post a Comment