Thursday 24 April 2014

Sunshine and Winding Down Ireland

I worked seven days in a row again this past week, but as I fell asleep hanging off armrests at awkward angles nearly everyday, I actually survived with a mild level of awareness. The armrest thing became an even bigger habit when the air mattress popped in the night and Dale and I both woke up with sleeping arms and legs. I took the couch from that point on while Dale curled up on the armchair. We found the hole, but two patches later still doesn’t seem to cut it. Eight more nights! In the meantime Dale has been visiting work (and helping them to unload trucks each time) and getting artsy with melted crayon paintings to keep himself entertained.

Work improved drastically since that last miserable day, and this Tuesday was my last shift with the supervisor who always panics over nothing. We said goodbye with a hug, and me with a grin as I finally got to walk away. However, not before she surprised me by telling me my last day of work is this Sunday. At first I was disappointed that I would be making less money. But let’s face it, I want to be done there. And we just found out Dale is receiving some decent money from his tax return, so now I’m quite content to be finished sooner than I expected!

In the beer garden of The Church

Almost the entire week has been lovely with sunshine and little rain, so I spent one afternoon with Heather and Anne in the backyard sewing up my ripping purse and jacket pocket and earning myself a severe sunburn on my shoulders. And I wasn’t even the only one. After work one day I went for a pint at The Church with Katie, which really used to be a church. When we were finished we decided to take the bus back to the house and make homemade sangria with Heather. But not before we stopped at Penneys and I found myself a cheap lacy pink bandeau and a bright blue bathing suit, sunscreen, and shampoo all for under 15 euros. With a glass each of very sugary wine and bourbon from a stove pot, we soaked up the sun on lawn chairs in the backyard with Dale, Caillan, and Anne. Katie, the Floridian and yet only one without a blanket on, entertained us with her wild stories; I could listen to that crazy girl for hours.

Summer's around the corner!

Happy Easter!
We went to Fitz on Monday, where we met one of the girls’ parents who were visiting. Sammy sadly asked Dale and I if we wanted to go out for dinner with him sometime before we go. It was all becoming very real that we are leaving in no time! We left Fitz early since, as usual these days, I was struggling not to fall asleep on my barstool. However, it was so mild outside—and amazingly still a little bit light—that after bussing home Dale and I decided to go for a walk around Mount Argus park before bed. There was a bat darting between the willow trees and curving bridge, and we stopped to view a statue of Jesus the church had left in a cave-type structure and lit with candles for Easter. Easter itself we had celebrated with candy. Lots of candy. Plus, I received double pay for working that day, even though it appears I’m not getting a bonus for Christmas after all.

The extinct Irish Elk

Greetings, friend!

On Tuesday after work Eduard invited me to join him for the National Museum of Ireland, which displays hundreds of real stuffed animals and is free. I suspended my disgust at the dead lion cubs for interest in the size of the creatures and the bizarre animals I’d never heard of before. There were hundreds of  tiny inspects on display, as well as giant whales suspended from the ceiling, and hippos, rhinos, and tigers in glass cases. Walking to the bus afterwards, Eduard spotted an art gallery called The Oriel so we went up stairs after stairs checking out the paintings of Ireland before parting.



A happy accident



The cats

Yesterday I had my next doctor’s appointment. I was intensely relieved when the Canadian doctor didn’t wrench on my jaw like Doctor Stassen had last time. She said when I came in for my last visit my jaw open 20mm on its own and the doctor managed to force it to 28. Now it opens 30mm without any forcing while the average is 35-40. She suggested an appointment in 3-4 months, but said if I feel like it’s back to normal by then I can just cancel it. Obviously I didn’t bother to book one since we won’t be here, I was glad to hear I’m really on the road to full recovery. She even said the small segment of my cheek that is still painful to touch just needs a little time.

A sunny day with Sammy


Great people watching on O'Connell Street
Dale and I picked up Starbucks Frappuccinos when we mosied into town and then sprawled out in the grass at St. Stephen’s Green. As we were wandering around town later, I got a message from Sammy asking if I knew about clinics because he was having trouble breathing. I advised him to get a cab and ask the driver for the nearest clinic, which unfortunately turned out to be closed until 6pm. Dale and I had grabbed burgers at a Supermac’s with coupons we had acquired in Cork, so at this point we met up with Sammy at the Spire so he wouldn’t be alone. He figured the problem was that he was cleaning mould in his apartment the day before. We whiled away the time by wandering around town, along the Liffey, or sitting on statues. We got to have our dinner together that day as there was a new sushi place called Fujiyama on O’Connell Street. The portion was a little small for the price, but still quite delectable. We picked up gelato at another new place afterwards. Mine was peanut butter flavoured, and heavenly. So very little is peanut butter flavoured in this country! Then we passed care of Sammy on to Oli, who agreed to host him that night so he wouldn’t have to go back to the possible mould in the air at his own place. We had an enjoyable and beautiful day with Sammy, even if it could have been better for him!

I was also terrified one morning before work when I thought I was trapped in the little square room at the front door with a giant spider. The morning before I had been washing my face only to stand up and see a big fat spider right beside the sink. This particular morning I was already a little paranoid, so when something flashed back and forth on the floor I froze. When the shadow whipped across the room and back again, I squealed and turned the light on, disregarding that everyone else in the house was still sleeping. Turns out it was a cute little mouse! When I turned off the alarm and opened the front door hoping it would go outside, I realized it had impossibly disappeared again!

Tiny next to this shoe, but it would have been giant for a spider!

No comments:

Post a Comment