Wednesday 12 March 2014

Meetings and Partings

I had my Teacher Education Program interview on Wednesday. I was thinking the call would come at six, but was basically ready at 5:00 in case we had mixed up on the time difference or our clocks were not quite at the same standard, which was a good thing because when I opened Skype on the tablet (Sydnee’s bright idea instead of using the poor-sounding laptop) I saw I had a missed call. They called again, but there was no image, so the two women said they’d try again in five minutes, at the actual time we had agreed to start. I ran around putting the last of my touches in place, then sat down for the interview with the tablet on my knee. I thought I did well. I definitely rambled nonsensically for the first question, but the other four felt alright and so did the hour-long essay. Now to wait for the beginning of April to find out if I will be starting school on July 28th!

Thursday was Dale’s last day of work at Lenehan’s Hardware. Dale brought in chocolates for his boss and some for his coworkers as a parting gift. After work, we met some of the coworkers for an enjoyable night at Roddy Bolan’s, a huge, dark pub that I would never have guessed was its size from the outside. Tom, his boss, had even given his son money to pay for a round of drinks. He told Dale he’d call him if he ever needed some shifts covered, which could be a big help for us. I also found out I might be getting a small bonus from work because we achieved the set targets at Christmas time. I've got my fingers crossed for any added money we might be able to bring in.

The rest of the week I worked short shifts and didn’t have to take the bike. This week will be different on Sunday, but Dale agreed to walk to work with me instead. We were planning on running, but it only occurred to me later that the jogging motion might hurt. It doesn’t seem like there’s been much improvement to my cheekbone or jaw in a while. I doubt I’ll ride the bike again while we’re here.

After work on Saturday Dale and I made our way to Coman’s, a pink and gold pub just around the corner from us to finally meet Orla and her boyfriend, Michael. We had dinner together as the Irish rugby team flattened Italy in the background. We had been trying to meet up with them since we first arrived, but only just managed it. Orla and Michael even treated us, and it has gotten so nice outside that it ended up being quite a pleasant afternoon!

The intact candelabra in Merchant's Arch
Monday, naturally, was Fitz night. Heather brought her mom, her dad, and her brother and his girlfriend. I remember how cool it was to show Sydnee the place where, to be over-frilly, "the friendships flourish and the pints flow." So I know Heather must have enjoyed it too. When we’d all finished eating, Dale, myself, and Heather’s gang went to Merchant’s Arch, where the old band from O’Neill’s, Hot Whiskey, was playing. Merchant’s Arch was originally built as a tailor’s guild in the 1700s and looks directly out over the Liffey and Ha’Penny Bridge, with the side entrance down a stone-tunnelled alley. We sat on the indoor balcony, so we could clearly see the ornate candelabra and ceiling shaking with the stomps of the enthusiastic Irish dancers on the floor above. In the middle of Hot Whiskey’s performance one of the small light fixtures broke off and stared swinging by a thread over a girl’s head. One of the employees got up on a stool, then a ladder to fix it while the band played a Jaws-sounding tune, and then we all cheered when he managed to screw it back in place.

Most of my week was also taken up with binge-reading “The Shining,” and now Veronica Roth’s “Divergent.” What with the sunlight, decent temperatures, short work schedules, and proper sleep on my days off, I’ve been trying to embrace relaxation. I know the next few weeks are going to fly by with St. Patrick’s day, Syd’s visit, moving, and a lot more planning! Today Dale and I are planning to tour Kilmainham Gaol.

No comments:

Post a Comment