Tuesday 25 March 2014

Resignation

I worked every day this week, although most days were short so I know my paycheque will be pitiful again this week. I was disappointed to find that I had no bonus on my last cheque. When I asked about it I was told it was just a mistake, so I can at least look forward to finding out what that number will be next time. I thankfully have the next two days off because I traded my day off with Heather last Saturday so she could be with her family on their last day in Ireland, and in return she is taking my Thursday. This means I get to go for my six weeks’ follow-up appointment tomorrow and get some other things checked off my to-do list.

This past Thursday I covered some lunch breaks in the cocktail bar, which I had never done before. Mostly I was in the backroom as the barista, which was hectic since it was busy. They put me back in for a full shift on Monday and I spent the whole day thinking, if not singing, “I was working as a waitress in the cocktail bar…” in a much calmer environment. I didn’t like that I occasionally had to go behind the bar as well. I get overwhelmed when looking at all the bottles and trying to find the one I need. I just don’t know alcohol well enough to bartend. Plus the next step is figuring out how to make the drinks. But since it was quiet on Monday it wasn’t too big of a deal and the other girls were able to help me. Otherwise I enjoyed making the coffees behind the scenes.

That morning in the restaurant had not gone well because the manager came to eat while I was on my break, getting himself a coffee from the kitchen. This was a problem because only two others were scheduled to be working, and when a customer has a coffee it’s a signal that they have already been asked if they would like anything. Reading this signal, no one took care of him, which lead to the supervisor getting angry because the manager believed all customers were getting that kind of “poor” service. Naturally, she told us all off. And this was the supervisor I was planning on giving my resignation letter to after lunch. I wanted to give it directly to the Food and Beverage Manager, but she was scheduled to be out until Wednesday. In the end I stifled my nerves and went into the office before my lunch was up. She gasped when I affirmed that the letter was my resignation, but I quickly explained that it wouldn’t be until April 30th. She then motioned around herself and asked, “It isn’t because of this…?” And of course I said, “No, no, not at all!” and explained about wrapping up our travels and going home to Canada. She seemed to relax and put the unread letter into an envelope for our superior. I am relieved that it’s finally done; it’s been a long time coming. I thought the letter itself was nice, and even gave a second copy to be sent to HR. The supervisor also seemed perfectly patient with my cocktail bar training later, which was another relief. As I've said, she has been much better lately, barring that I did make a few mistakes this week. But I can’t wait for all that pressure to be officially off.

After work it started to pour down rain. Dale had only just gotten back from an hour and a half bike ride out to Dalkey to collect my insurance claim papers, so I decided to go over to Katie’s place to kill some time before Fitzgeralds. We grabbed a cab since the weather was miserable and got dropped off at a grocery store, where we drooled over the American products before going to her place. We chatted with her roommate, myself with a glass of white wine, Jessica nursing too many nights out, and Katie the same plus strep throat. Then they pointed me in the direction of O’Connell Street and I headed into the steady grey drizzle. The pub was full of new people apart from Sammy, so we got to know some new faces. I especially enjoyed how easily conversation flowed with two of the girls, who I invited to the party we’re planning on hosting this Friday. Since we’re too poor to buy each other anniversary gifts, Dale and I decided to throw a party instead!

It is also the last weekend in our place since we’re moving in with Heather on Monday. We’ve been packing and planning all week, which has been pretty stressful despite the fact that we don’t have many possessions. There are so many unknowns about the next few months that we need to get sorted out. With this in mind, after work today Heather and I walked into Rathmines where I met up with Dale; he and I went into the Social Welfare office with a confusing letter I had received the day before. The lady there told us that despite the fact that I’m as good as an Irish citizen, I won’t receive any money for my time out of work. To be eligible I needed to have been working in Ireland for longer than what I have. But we were at least tossed a bone when we went into Lenehan’s for some moving boxes on the way home and Dale’s old boss offered him a few days of work over two weeks in mid-April. In the meantime, on Heather’s recommendation, I finally started, “100 Happy Days.” I sent in my first picture of something that makes me happy yesterday. What better way to make sure I appreciate my last few months of travel? And since I have no other pictures for this week, here was my reason to be happy yesterday:

The sun has started coming up when I leave for work!


No comments:

Post a Comment