Wednesday 19 March 2014

Well, Hello there, Bono: St. Patrick's Day in Dublin!

I have been sent home early almost every day this week. I think everyone is a little on edge with their money because the last two months have been the record slowest for the Conrad. I haven’t heard anything about Social Welfare, but I will find out what my bonus was tomorrow. However, I did receive a letter from work saying I would be getting a 2% raise, which means I now make twenty cents more per hour. I wasn’t expecting anything since I haven’t even been there a year yet.

Kilmainham Gaol cell

Kilmainham Gaol
Site of executions (including Connolly, who was tied
to a chair because he was injured, ultimately angering
 the Irish people further)
Dale and I spent one inexpensive day at Kilmainham Gaol, where we learned about the sixteen rebels, most of whom who were executed in the Victorian prison after the 1916 rebellion against the British. Afterwards we stopped in at the National Art Gallery, which was inside the same former hospital that I worked an event inside for Roisin. The art was far too weird for both of us. Then we wandered through the English Gardens before making our way into Phoenix Park, which was nice in the distance, but had a lot of garbage strewn around up close.

The English Gardens at the National Art Gallery

Wellington Monument in Phoenix Park

On Friday Levente and I decided to use our extra time off to go see “The Book Thief,” which I’ve been wanting to see for ages since reading the book. On the way we stopped for smoothies, then chocolate crepes with whipped cream, all of which Levente insisted on paying for in exchange for Booster Juice, Canadian pancakes, and a place to stay when he visits Canada some day. I was happy to agree, but I think it’s more likely that we’ll go see another movie sometime and it’ll be my turn to treat. Nevertheless,  the gesture was much appreciated! It was a decent temperature outside, so even the wandering from place to place in Dublin was enjoyable. The movie itself was both very tragic and heart-warming, and I think just about as good as the book, which is rare.

On Saturday Sydnee and her friend Dan arrived for St. Patrick’s Day from Wales via Belfast. I met up with them at the arch on St. Stephen’s Green after work, where they were lounging in the warm grass with their big backpacks. Despite their being hung-over, I took them into town for a wander. Dale met up with us for a pint in O’Neill’s, where we were watching the Wales versus Scotland rugby match. Then we made a short stop back home to drop off their belongings before walking to Coman’s, the pink and gold pub we went to with Orla and Michael last week. The final Six Nations match, Ireland versus France, had just begun. We cricked our necks under the TV for lack of a better spot, but it was worth it when the close game ended in a victory for Ireland and the pub erupted in fist pumps and hugs. We had dinner at AbraKebabra, then I had to go to bed since I worked early in the morning.

On Sunday I only worked three hours, which made me angry considering I had to walk to work, and then, because I had forgotten my phone, I had a hard time getting in touch with Dale, Sydnee, and Dan. It also turns out the buses weren’t running, so Nicc and I decided to go to MacDonald’s while I waited to meet up with them at O’Neill’s. The only good thing about my walk to work in the morning was that the sun was coming up, which makes it slightly less unpleasant to have to be up so early. Nicc and I had a great chat about ghosts and superstitions over lunch, then I went to O’Neill’s, where it turned out the others had already arrived via a different bus that actually was still running. We started to wander again, heading down Grafton where we bumped into Ally, Sammy, and Ally's guests, then going into the Temple Bar area and visiting a “Traditional Irish Candy Shop.” We crossed the Ha’Penny Bridge to walk along the Bachelor’s Walk, or the boardwalk by the River Liffey. We watched some buskers, went into a shopping centre where there was supposedly a free beer tasting that wasn’t free at all, then went to the fair on the R801 and enjoyed the “Dominator 360” in front of the Customs House. It was similar to the ride Dale and I enjoyed in Bray last summer, swinging us back and forth until it flipped over its own axis upside down. Now that was a view of Dublin I had never seen before!

A good-sport Guard!
Afterwards we went to Cassidy’s for a pint and a game of Jenga. We had our free candy and even signed the graffiti-scrawled wall: St. Patrick’s Day 2014, Nicole, Syd the Kid, Dale, and Dan. Then we crossed O’Connell Bridge again, grabbed some Hot Wok, and ate it on the statue of Daniel O’Connell. Dan made a friend with a small boy who kept attacking him while the rest of us finished our meals. As it started to get dark we made our way to the Turk’s Head for another pint, which was the last pub we had visited on our 12 Pubs of Christmas night. The live music ended a little early, so someone pocketed a Guinness glass and we went to a corner store to buy some less expensive wine for the night. It turns out just about everyone in Dublin had the same idea, but the Guarda didn’t care in the slightest! When Sydnee took a picture in Temple Bar of all the liquor bottles and cans strewn all over the cobbles, one of the Guards came over to join her photo, perching his hat on top of her head! I was glad I had taken Syd and Dan through the area a few times before the party started because the population difference was amazing!



Having a blast
The Temple Bar area itself was packed with random groups of people singing, dancing in front of buskers, and drinking. I have never seen it so full of people, and the atmosphere was very fun. Syd did a little jig with a stranger and taught Dale a dance that made them both look high. It turned out Syd was not allowed in St. John Gogarty’s because of her age, and we accidentally went in another entrance looking for a toilet, so quickly found ourselves kicked out. We went into Sweeney’s instead. After a quick video to Mum wishing her a happy birthday, a stop at MacDonald’s and a gifted wrap for the MacDonald’s bouncer from Dan, we headed towards O’Neill’s in search of more live music. On the way Dale thought it would be a good idea to set the alarm off on a BMW, so he gave it a good boot—while the owner was sitting behind the steering wheel (on the right-side, of course). The guy got out of the car, slammed the door, and started stalking after us, none of which Dale noticed. The rest of us immediately started telling Dale off, with Dan apologizing to the guy and probably saving the situation. Dale contentedly continued walking down the street, completely oblivious. Needless to say, he had a pretty bad headache the next day. O’Neill’s was the highlight of the night. Upstairs was packed with people jumping to the live Irish and mixed music, and we quickly joined in and stayed past last-call. On the way home, naturally, we stopped at Zaytoons for garlic cheese fries.


The St. Patrick's Day Parade by the Spire

Spontaneous dancing!

The beamer slayer couldn’t even get up for the St. Patrick’s Day Parade the next day, and we had to leave him in misery while we caught a bus that was absolutely packed with people. It stopped short of our usual destination because the roads were blocked and we had to make our way along the street to O’Connell Bridge in single file! By the time we decided to stop we had reached the Spire and still had no where to view the parade. We ended up climbing onto a green electrical box and standing over the sea of green heads. Other people were climbing trees, street lights, or waving flags out of department store windows. The floats in the parade were the creepiest I have ever seen, and I suspect some of them were from Irish fairytales that I know nothing about. The weather barely misted us even if it was cold, which I hear is very rare and we were very lucky! When the parade ended all the people starting moving at once, and we waited like we were trapped on a deserted island and ate our packed sandwiches. It was totally worth it to see the streets I’ve walked so many times teeming with excited people. Some spontaneous dancing even broke out right in front of us (encouraged by Syd, naturally!).

When the crowds had cleared a little we went to the Morrison, where Katie’s roommate Jessica works. Jessica pours generous shots for her friends, plus Katie and I get a 50% discount as Hilton card-holders, so the drinks cost us next to nothing. Sammy eventually joined us, as well as Dale, who seemed mostly recovered, and then we headed to the Hardrock CafĂ© to meet Tony and Isaac from work. As soon as Katie and I got inside, Isaac pointed us to Bono, who was standing a few tables from us. We immediately jumped up and got a photo with him, Isaac taking the shot. We all had a drink while he indulged his fans with more photos, then Dale and Syd got their photo. Bono said, "Have a good St. Patrick's Day," to which Dale cleverly replied, "U2." Because Dan couldn’t get inside with the wine we had purchased, we regrettably had to head out. Syd and Dan actually ended up heading to the same chippy as Bono, watching while girls started screaming at the sight of him, and then stood in line right after him as they all ordered and ate their chips. I’ve been looking into it and I can’t find any evidence for it being an impersonator yet (and Bono has been known to busk on Grafton Street at Christmas time, after all!).

Bono!


Syd, Dan, and I leprechaunin' it up
After all this excitement we went to the Porterhouse, where Olly turned up with his German friends, then Heather with her family, we made friends with some Dubliners (who I couldn’t believe would actually stay in Dublin for the mess), followed by Dale’s friend Greg meeting up with us. Syd and Dan ducked out now and then to enjoy the atmosphere on Fleet Street, and Sammy and I soon ran into them when we stopped in at Di Fontaine’s pizza. I should have known Sydnee was in there because the little square shop was bursting with dancers and the chef was DJing with enthusiasm. Syd and Dan took credit for starting this hilariously weird club; Sammy and I immediately joined in.

As the night wore on the crowds thinned before even midnight. Along with Greg, we returned to O’Neill’s, trusting that it would be a good time. We saw a few people we had met the night before, who obviously had the same idea. Syd and I danced up by the band, ending the night predictably, and happily, with “Galway Girl.” We walked home again to save the cost of the cab ride, Dale snagging a felt St. Patrick’s Day top hat along the way. Able to sleep-in until 11:00 the next day, we all came out of the experience thrilled and maybe a little dehydrated. Syd and Dan left for Galway, and Dale and I dove into a couple movies: "Michael Collins" (starring the Kilmainham Gaol we just visited), "Pulp Fiction," and then some "Modern Family."

Today, after another shortened shift, Dale and I went for a walk in Heather’s neighbourhood, where daffodils were in bloom and ducks splashed playfully. I had to leave my jacket open the day was so nice; it is such a relief to me after being so cold for so long. I’m really looking forward to the warmth of Canada, but more and more I can see that it rains in British Columbia more than it does in Ireland! Nevertheless, I can’t help being in a better mood now that spring is officially in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment